jaimemontilla.com

Vives
Guayama

 
Vives is not too distant from  Carlota .  Historian Luis Ferreras Pagán establishes its origin in 1860, however, other sources establish its origin in 1828 when its first owner, Juan Francisco Rivera, established the 500 cuerdas  Hacienda La Esperanza .  It was later owned by Jacinto Texidor, a Catalonian immigrant. 
 
The hacienda's name changed to Vives when the granddaughter of Jacinto Texidor, Isabel Rivera-Texidor, married Juan Vives-de la Rosa.  Vives-de la Rosa expanded the hacienda with the acquisition of land from Hacienda Guayabo Dulce and Hacienda Emilia as part of his attempt to modernize irrrigation facilities of La Esperanza.  By 1872 it was Guayama's fourth most productive hacienda behind Santa Elena, owned by Catalina and Josefa Curet Lozada the daughters of Pedro Curet; Hacienda Josefa, owned by the Texidor family who also owned haciendas Puerto and Gregoria and Hacienda Reunión, owned by José Gual Frías.
 
It remained in family hands until shortly after the death of Juan Vives-de la Rosa in 1891 when it was acquired by the firm Amorós Hnos.  In 1906 it was acquired by brothers Guillermo & Carlos McCormick-Hartman who in 1921 sold it to Luce & Co., a company related to  Central Aguirre .
 
The cone shaped structure pictured was the wind mill that powered the grinding machinery, the structure to the right was the processing plant.  Its is one of only five windmill structures remaining on the island, the others being Plazuela , Santa Ana , Carlota and Berdecia .
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director