jaimemontilla.com

Tuna
Guayama

 
Tuna was located in Barrio Caimital, on the west end of the town of Guayama on the mountain foothills near the Guamaní River.  It was owned by Florencio Capó Planchart (1811-1882), who also owned Hacienda Olimpo, and who on May 1, 1849 was granted a concession to extract water from the Guamaní River for irrigation purposes.  It was later owned by José Antonio Vazquez, the author of the 1848 Descripción Topográfica del Pueblo de Guayama and his sons José Manuel and Rafael Vazquez and in the 1890s by Rafel's son Edgardo Vazquez Aguilar (1866-1918).
 
The plantation consisted of 730 cuerdas of which 150 were planted with sugarcane.  In 1896 it was leased and operated by Spanish immigrant Genaro Cautiño Vazquez (1855- ) the father of Genaro Cautiño Insua (1883-1954) who would later own Central Guamani and Central Carmen  and Manuel Gonzalez Martinez under the name Cautiño & Gonzalez who modernized its machinery to a steam driven mill.  Annual production was 88 tons of sugar and 6,100 gallons of molasses.
 
The chimney has a substantial fissure from top to bottom which suggests its structural integrity may soon be compromised making the structure crumble.