Yulee Sugar Mill

Yulee Sugar Mill was part of a thriving sugar plantation owned by David Levy Yulee who was a member of the Territorial Legislative Council  and served in the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate after Florida became a State of the Union.  Most of the plantation was deeded to Yulee by Spain during the  Spanish Florida  period of time when the Spanish owned the territory.

Approximately 1,000 slaves operated the sugar plantation.  Crops grown included among others; sugar cane, citrus, cotton, and produce.  The most imposing structure of the plantation was the sugar mill, located near the Homosassa River .  The mill operated for 13 years, producing sugar, syrup and molasses that were used to make rum.  The steam-driven mill operated from 1851 to 1864 and served as a supplier of sugar products for southern troops during the Civil War .  The mill was abandoned during the Civil War and Yulee's plantation home, located down the river, was burned. The plantation and mill never recovered from the war.

The remnants of the once-thriving 5,100-acre sugar plantation include: iron gears, cane press, steam boiler, crushing machinery and large cooking kettles used to process the sugar cane.  Also remaining still standing is the forty-foot limestone masonry chimney, well and foundation all quarried and constructed by slaves.