jaimemontilla.com

Central Santa Bárbara
Jayuya

 
Date Established: 1913
Date Ceased Operations: 1948
Annual Production Graph
Average Annual Production: 1,908 Tons
Best Production Year: 1947/4,743 Tons
Family Ownership: Pierluissi, Perez del Castillo, Toro, Ortiz-Toro
 
Santa Bárbara was located in one of the smallest and most remote towns on the island.  The information we have regarding its ownership dates back to 1849 when Eusebio Perez del Castillo married Maria Rivera Monserrate, daughter of Maria Monserrate the widow of Miguel de Rivera y Quinones who had been Mayor of Utuado.  Maria inherited from her father rights to over 800 cuerdas of land in Jayuya prompting her husband, who up to then was a modest retailer, to acquire a total of 31 parcels or farms between 1862 and 1867 becoming one of the most prominet landowners in Jayuya.  His first transaction was the purchase of a 373 cuerdas coffee plantation and sugar mill from Simon Pierluissi in the area called Santa Barbara about 1/2 km from town.

Santa Bárbara was originally a hybrid operation growing sugarcane and fruits but mostly coffee.  It had a large ground coffee storage capacity giving it an advantage over other coffee growers of the area and its crop diversification provided stability year round.  However, the decline in coffee prices toward the end of the XIX Century negatively affected the area's economy and that of Santa Barbara as well.

In 1903 Santa Barbara was acquired by Maria Toro vda. Ortiz under the name of Cortada & Toro and began growing sugarcane on the land previoysly used by Eusebio Perez to grow coffee.  Given to the sugar boom of the early XX Century in Puerto Rico, under Maria, Santa Barbara became a sugarcane plantation and sugar mill.  The land was later titled in the name of Jayuya Developmet and in 1939 in the name of Maria Toro and her sons.  
 
As can be seen from the production chart, this was a very small sugar mill production wise, the smallest of all those visited due mostly to its location up in the mountains with limited land available for growing sugarcane.  After its closure its machinery and equipment was dismantled and sold in the Dominican Republic where it was installed and operated as Central catarey.
 
Today the remains are only two smoke stacks both of which are right in the middle of town.  The taller one is on the backyard of a small abandoned house and the shorter one is on the yard of a public school.