jaimemontilla.com

Salvador Rodriguez, Inc.
Palmetto Beach

 
Salvador Rodriguez (1845-1922) was a Spanish immigrant from Asturias who went to Cuba when he was 15 and learned the cigar business there at an early age.  After leaving Havana in 1871 he established himself in New York City where he was soon thereafter offered a partnership in the Celestino Palacios & Co. cigar business. 
 
In 1889 Salvador joined a fledging new group of cigar entrepreneurs that had established cigar manufacturing operations in Tampa and opened a three-story wooden cigar factory with a large basement on what is today 402 S 22nd Street in Palmetto Beach, just South of Ybor City.  It is only the second wooden cigar factory remaining, the other being the  Oliva-Monne  cigar factory.
 
As stated in the March 1902 Tobacco publication, "Businesss is reported as exceedingly good at the factory of Slavador Rodriguez.  Many new jobbers have place accounts with this old and reliable concern this year and have been more than pleased with it since the business was opened.  The indications are that the Charles the Great factory will soon be compelled to have larger quarters to handle the growing business which is coming its way."  Production on this site continued until 1903 when Salvador built a new much larger 3 story brick building today known as the Charles the Great Gactory building and currently owned by  Arturo Fuente Cigar Factory, Inc.   The Article  Charles the Great Cigar Factory  details the history of Salvador Rodriguez, this building and the Charles the Great factory building.
 
The siding installed on this 17,000 sq. ft. building covers the over 100 windows it originally had to allow enough light and ventilation for its workers.  It is currently owned by DMF of Tampa, Inc. and houses the offices of Pilgrim Permacoat, Inc.