jaimemontilla.com

Perfecto Garcia & Brothers
Ybor City

 
Perfecto Garcia  & Bros. was established in 1905 by four Garcia Brothers, their first wooden factory was lost due to a large fire in Ybor City in 1908.  In 1911 they occuied the Sanchez & Haya Co. Factory #1 building from where they moved to this site.  During its peak years of production, the company employed over 1,200 people in the fields, the cigar factory and their stores.  They used Cuban tobacco that was grown on their family owned farms and rolled the cigars in Ybor City.  They also owned over fifteen cigar shops in Chicago and most of their marketing was aimed at that area.  Eventually one brother moved to Spain, two others remained in Chicago to run the shops and the remaining brother, Perfecto, ran the factory in Ybor City.
 
Along with  Corral-Wodiska & Ca.  Bering cigars and  Garcia y Vega , Perfecto Garcia was considered one of the highest grade cigars at the time.  In the aftermath of the Cuban Embargo, Perfecto Garcia's Cuban tobacco inventory dwindled and like many other cigar companies in Ybor City they looked to sell their business.  Perfecto Garcia & Bros. was sold to Havano Cigar Corp. who brought machines in to roll cigars at an average of 60,000 per day.  In June 1982 operations at this location ceased one year after United States Tobacco Co. of Greenwich, CT bought Perfecto Garcia from Havano Cigar Co. for the brand name only, renamed the company Central American Cigar Co. and moved operations to York, PA citing a decline in cigar sales and the economy as their reasons for closing.
 
In 1999, Arango Cigar Co., of Northbrook, Ill., announced that they were the new importer and sole distributor of Perfecto Garcia premium cigars, then manufactured in Nicaragua and once again, hand made. 
 
According to the property appraiser, this 3-story 47,882 sq. ft. Perfecto Garcia & Bros. cigar factory was built in 1917, however, the inscription on the building states 1914.  Vacant since 1982 and today abandoned, the factory building is for sale for a reported $2.75 million.  
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director