jaimemontilla.com

Mayol/Luz de Luna
Adjuntas


The land in Barrio Yahuecas where Hacienda Mayol was established ca. 1860 by Antonio Mayol Ros (1840-1915) and his wife Ramona Cardona Gonzalez was originally owned by Gregorio Cardona who owned vast amounts of uncultivated land on which this and other coffee plantations were established.   In the official catalogue of the 1888 Universal Expo in Barcelona, coffee from Hacienda Mayol was exhibited. The catalogue reports the date the hacienda was established as 1886 and its annual production as 1,000 kilograms  (2,204 pouns) of coffee. Its Manor House, though extensively remodeled, is reportedly from 1887.

In a 1977 HAER Report prepared by Archeologist Luis Pumarada, Hacienda Mayol had the only metal-trough-on-wood-tressles diversion channel found on the island.  In 1978, about 100 feet of channel was left a few feet from PR-135 up from where the hacienda is located.  The hardwood tressles then found were 15 to 20 feet high and the metal trough was in sections 10 ft. long, 18 in. wide and 12 in. deep.  The canal ended in a brick arch structure which sent the water down a pipe to a hydraulic turbine.

Hacienda Mayol's name was changed in 1991 to Hacienda Luz de Luna by its current owner Edric Vivoni Farage and his wife Luchy Rivera Siaca.

These pictures are part of a 1987 study by Archeologist Dr. Luis Pumarada O'Neill, source: Puerto Rico State Historic Preservation Office.
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director