jaimemontilla.com

Maria/Massini
Yauco


Originally known as Hacienda Maria, it was established in Barrrio Rubias in 1864 by Corsican immigrant Silvestre Fraticcelli Pietri.  In 1870 it was owned by also Corsican immigrant Juan Massini Pietri (1873-1937) and his wife Ángela Rafaela Molini Ruiz the daughter of Antonio Molini Benigni and Monserrate Ruiz Montes.  Juan Masini Pietri was one of the organizers in 1924 of the Cooperativa Cafeteros de Yauco together with Rafael Mejía, Ernesto Lopez Ballester, Domingo Vivaldi, Tomás Molini and Mariano Molini.

​It originally consisted of 740 cuerdas, in 1899 it had some 600 cuerdas and today the hacienda is still active with some 400 cuerdas.   All the original structures from ca. 1870 had to be rebuilt after the pass of Hurricane San Felipe in 1928.  Throughout the years they have undergone some changes, but in general these are minor and its historic structures have been preserved in its original state.  There is no old machinery left.

These pictures are part of a 1987 study by Archeologist Dr. Luis Pumarada O'Neill, source: Puerto Rico State Historic Preservation Office.