jaimemontilla.com

Irurena
Moca

 
Irurena was originally a coffee plantation established by Pedro Peugeot (later changed to Pellot) and turned into a sugar plantation in 1860 when Juan Peugeot installed an oxen-driven wooden mill or "trapiche".  It belonged to three Peugeot brothers of French origin who traveled frequently between PR and France.  The Peugeot's were from the Basque Country in Southern France; supposedly Irurena means "three brothers" in the Basque language.  In their absence, the plantation was managed since 1875 by their friend Juan Labadie also a Frenchman.
 
Upon Juan Peugeot's (one of the brothers) death in 1860, the hacienda was sold to Mr. Labadie in 1875 who operated and lived in it until his death in 1893.  In 1905, his widow Cornelia Peugeot, who was the ilegitimate daughter of one of the threee brothers and a freed slave, demolished the old wooden structure and built the new house designed in 1893 by Frenchman Paul Servajean who was the administrator at Central Coloso  in nearby Aguada.  

The steam engine and boiler from the closed down Hacienda Tiopolis in Rincon was installed at Irurena in 1902.  Irurena stopped operating in 1909 when sugarcane grown in the plantation was then processed at the nearby Central Coloso .
 
The house and locomotive pictured are the only remains of this Ingenio which is now owned and maintained by the Municipal Government of Moca.   This property was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, pictures of the vacant property  in 1985 before it was restored by the Municipal Government accompany the submition.
 
Originally the house was known as Castillo Labadie.  The setting for the novel La Llamarada written by local writer Enrique A. Laguerre was inspired by this property which in the novel was called the Hacienda Palmares, owned by the Moreau family.  Hence the house is commonly known today as the "Palacete Los Moreau".
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director