jaimemontilla.com

Grande-Quebrada Palma
Naguabo

 
According to our research, Grande was owned by Mateo Luchetti Piccioni (1825-1905), born in Saint Thomas of Corsican descent.  Records show he also owned a hacienda called Quebrada Palma, which we understand  is one and the same as Grande.  He died unexpectedly in 1905 by drowning while trying to cross the Fajardo River.  Like most of the trapiches of the area, Grande was destroyed by  Hurricane San Ciriaco of 1899 which was its last grinding season, from then on its sugarcane was processed at Central Columbia .
 
Records also show that Grande was owned by the Behn Brothers.  Sosthenes Behn (1882-1957) and Hernand Behn (1880-1933) were born in Saint Thomas, then a Danish territory, to Richard William Behn (1840-1889) a German immigrant born in Venezuela and resident of Saint Thomas and Louis (Luisa) Mendes Monsanto (1854-1927) born in Saint Thomas of French descent.  A year after Richard's death in 1889, Luisa or Madame Luchetti as she was later known, married Mateo's brother, Sosthenes Luchetti Piccioni (1837-1899), a good family friend and young Sosthenes Godfather.
 
Census records show that at the time of Mateo's death, Hernand was living in Puerto Rico and working as Traffic Manager at the American Railroad Company of PR.  Upon his death, Sosthenes moved to Puerto Rico from New York and together with his brother took over Mateo's business since he had never married and had no children.  Among the businesses they took over was Grande which at the time was just a sugar grower and soon divested to other business ventures including Behn Brothers, a company engaged in the sugar brokering business. 
 
In 1898, Mateo had acquired land from Jose Cerra Gonzalez, the Behn brothers acquired these lands from Mateo's heirs, which included their half sister Magdalena Luchetti Mendes, and developed them into what is known today as the Condado area of San Juan.  They built a home, designed by  Antonin Nechodoma , where today is the Condado Plaza Hilton Hotel ,and built the bridge today known as "Puente Dos Hermanos" to provide easy access from Condado to Old San Juan.  
 
In 1897, the Colonial Government in Puerto Rico gave 20 year concessions to set up local monopoly telephone service to; Rafael Fabian and Antonio Ahumada in San Juan, to Alfredo Casals Agaña in Ponce which concession was immediately transferred to the Compañia Anonima de la Red Telefónica de Ponce and to Rafael Fabian in Mayaguez.  On July 13, 1905 the US Government authorized Pedro Juan Rosaly to establish and operate telephone service on the South coast which authorization was soon transferred to the South Porto Rico Telephone Company who acquired absolute control of the Compañia Anonima de la Red Telefónica de Ponce and the private telephone systems of the Aguirre and Guanica sugar mills.  On August 23, 1906 the US Government authorized Sosthenes Behn to establish and operate telephone service on the North coast, which authorization was soon transferred to the Porto Rico General Telephone Company.  Immediately thereafter, the PRGTC acquired the telephone companies operating by virtue of the franchises gtanted by the Colonial Government in San Juan and Mayaguez.   
 
In 1913 the merger of the PRGTC with the South Porto Rico Telephone Company resulted in a new Delaware corporation called the Porto Rico Telephone Company headed by Sosthenes Behn.  In 1920 Behn established the  International Telephone & Telegraph Company (IT&T) which the Puerto Rico Telephone Company became part of and quickly grew into a multinational company.
 
Grande's smoke stack is located today inside the loop at the exit of PR-53 to SR-953 which is the Naguabo exit. It seems the design of this interchange was done taking into consideration the smoke stack, thus avoiding its demolition.
  1. Managing Director