jaimemontilla.com

Florida
Yauco

 
Was located in Barrio Barinas and was acquired in 1840 by Corsican immigrant from Capo Corso Antonio Francisco Negroni Mattei (1794-1861) from the family of Fernando Pacheco de Matos, the founder of the town of Yauco.  Based on our research, we understand that Florida originally included lands that when segregated gave origin to the Hacienda Maria .
 
Antonio Francisco had arrived in Yauco in 1822 and dedicated his life to agriculture, later on owning the Ingenio San Colombano .  He also owned Hacienda Fortuna, a coffee plantation in the Yauco mountainous region known as Indiera, later inherited by one of his daughters. 
 
By 1846 La Florida had an oxen driven mill and was reportedly Yauco's largest with an area of 970 acres, worked by 38 slaves and having a declared capital of 23,661 pesos.  On May 13, 1846 Antonio Francisco received permission to use waters from the Duey and Yauco Rivers and reportedly built an irrigation system for the hacienda which also provided water to the town of Yauco, thus becoming the first aqueduct in town.  
 
According to historian Col. Hector Andrés Negroni, the "Ermita de Nuestra Señora del Rosario", the first Catholic church in Yauco dating back to 1729 before Yauco was chartered as a town in 1756, was within the lands of La Florida.  No remains are left of La Florida's factory building or owner's house.  The pictures below are of the Ermita, in front of it you can see a hoist used to load and unload sugar cane from oxen driven carts which suggest agricultural activity right in the immediacies and confirms Col. Negroni's statement.  Architect Jorge Ortiz Colom in his publication Yauco: Ciudad de Historia y Patrimonio states that for almost a Century the Ermita was a dependency of Hacienda Florida used as warehouse, barnyard and drinking trough.
 
In 1852 under financial pressure caused in part by the cost of constructing the irrigation system, Antonio Francisco sold La Florida to Juan Maria Antongiorgi Paoli (1799-1888) who was married to Ana Maria Paoli Mari.  Upon Juan Maria's death, it passed to his son Angel Antonio (Angelino) Antongiorgi Paoli (1843- ) and his wife Lucia Boagna Rafaelli (1854-1934).