jaimemontilla.com

Cruger-dePeyster Sugar Mill
New Smyrna

   
According to the National Register of Historic Places Inventory–Registration Form , in 1830 William Kemble contracted to build a steam sugar and saw mill for William DePeyster and Eliza and Henry Cruger of New York.  The mill was financed mainly with Cruger's wife money and constructed on land that Cruger had acquired from Ambrose Hull, who in turn had received it as a grant from the Spanish government during the Second Spanish Period (1783-1821).
 
On Christmas Day 1835, a band of Seminole Indians plundered the Cruger–DePeyster Plantation forcing the overseers and slaves to flee across the Halifax River to safety.  That night the sugar mill and other buildings were set on fire.  Subsequent occupation of the ruins by troops in the course of the war resulted in its alteration for defensive reasons.  The machinery from this sugar mill was removed and installed at the Dunlawton Sugar Mill .
 
Before coming under control of the Florida Park Service as a Historic Site, the property was mistakenly thought by many to be the ruins of the Mission of Atocuimi, a Spanish mission for the Timucua Indians.

The site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 12 August 1970.