La Concordia

Was owned by Charles Walker, uncle of Susan Walker Morse the wife of Edward Lind owners of Hacienda Enriqueta in Arroyo.  Some sources state that Walker acquired Concordia in 1840, however, records show that on December 11, 1840 Jean Baptiste Balestiere mortgaged the Concordia to Manuel P. Gott for approximately 27,000 hard dollars which he could not have done unless he owned the property at the time. Edward Lind supposedly met his wife Susan Walker Morse during one of her visits to her uncle at La Concordia, they were married on August 2, 1842 in New Haven, CT.  Given their date of marriage, it is reasonable to believe that Walker acquired La Concordia sometime in 1841.  One thing is sure though, at the time of his death in 1843 Hacienda Concordia belonged to Charles Walker.  

When Edward Lind acquired the Henrietta and its 800 cuerdas for 103,500 hard dollars from Charles F. Overmann heirs on April 5, 1852, he also acquired other land of approximately 760 cuerdas for an additional 179,000 hard dollars.  Although La Concordia was only part of the 760 cuerdas, all of them were later referred to as La Concordia.  There were several sellers in the 760 acre transaction, one of them was Francisca Coit de Froy whose parcel of land she had acquired from Eduardo Cervoni and who accepted a 75,600 mortgage at the time of the sale.  Another seller was Julia Huguemin de Rigo Favarges who in 1842 mortgaged about 50 acres of her Hacienda Julia in favor of her son Agusto Adolfo Faverges for 53,600.  It is clear then that the lands acquired from these two sellers were not part of La Concordia.  Other sellers were; , Adela Favarges, Adolfo Favarges, Maria Collazo Ortiz, José Cintrón, Pablo Ortiz, Eugenio Manatou, Luis Mariani, Juana Sanchez, Bábara Sanchez Teresa Manatou, Luis Sanchez and a Mrs. Augustini.  Given the list of sellers does not include any apparent members of the estate of Charles Walker, title to La Concordia between Walker's death in 1843 and Lind's acquisition in 1852 is not clear.

The Concordia and Henrietta were contiguous properties and during Edward Lind's ownership each one retained its separate legal status although they were commonly referred to as La Enriqueta
  1. Managing Director