jaimemontilla.com

Arbela
Yauco


By 1890 Hacienda Santa Clara consisted of approximately 1,400 cuerdas.  Between 1890 and 1899 a 471 tract of land was segregated which resulted in the establishment of Hacienda Arbela, remaining in the ownership of Mariani Dominicci.  When the estate of Domingo Mariani Dominicci was settled ca. 1920, Hacienda Arbela was awarded to Domingo Mariani Dominicci 's daughter Angela Mariani Mariani then widow of Corsican born Jose Maria Trani Dragoni (1856-1919).

It is unclear to this researcher how the property passed from the Mariani to the Grillasca families.  It is unknown if Corsican immigrants Francisco (1859- ), Domingo (1864- ) and Andres (1865- ) Grillasca Dragoni (1859- ) who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1880, 1890 and 1890 respectively were related to Jose Maria Trani Dragoni.  There was a marriage relationship between both families though, Andres Grillasca Salas (1888-1973) the son of Francisco Grillasca Dragoni and Josefina Salas del Valle married Angela Trani Mariani (1896-1992) the daughter of Angela Mariani Mariani and Jose Maria Trani Dragoni.

According to Luis Edgardo Diaz Hernandez in his book Castañer: Una Hacienda Cafetalera en Puerto Rico (1886-1930), "In 1903 and 1904 coffee production on the island was high.  Scres. de Castañer Hnos. S en C committed to sell 650 quintals of coffee to Fritze, Lund & Co. and Carlos Armstrong in Ponce by the end of December.  Great part of the coffee sold by the firm was bought from other nearby haciendas among which was La Arbela of Domingo Grillasca."  It is unkown if it is an error or if the Domingo Grillasca referred to by Diaz Hernandez is Domingo Grillasca Vechiolli (1844- ) who in 1910 was a coffee farmer and resided in Barrio Rio Prieto of Yauco.  Any relationship between Grillasca Vechiolli and Grillasca Dragoni has not been established.

its manor house and all other remaining structures were built ca. 1930 when the original structures were destroyed by a fire.  ​In the 1960's the hacienda was sold to the Government of Puerto Rico, fractioned and sold  to local farmers.  In 1978 its owner was José Vera who owned the processing facilities and 22 cuerdas of the approximately 1,000 that at one time formed part of Hacienda Arvela.

It is located in Monte Guilarte at a height of 2,526 feet above sea level on PR-374.

The pictures below are part of a 1987 study made by Archeologist Luis Pumarada O'Neill.  Source: Puerto Rico State Historic Preservation Office.