jaimemontilla.com

Andrés Diaz & Co.
West Tampa

 
Andrés Diaz (1850- ) was a Spanish immigrant from Oviedo, Asturias who learned the cigar trade in Cuba before coming to the US.  In 1883 he established the Andrés Diaz & Co. in New York City with a partner from Barcelona, Catalonia with last name Gonzalez.  Later on Jim Burns, José Maceda, J. M. Cuyar and his brother Ceferino became partnes with Andrés Diaz in the business.  Andres Diaz & Co.’s popular brands were Terreno, La Flor de Andres Diaz and La Flor de Scott.

Design of this 3-story 18,304 square foot structure was made at the specifications of the Andrés Diaz & Co., construction was completed on May 15, 1908 by John Drew, the developer of West Tampa.  After relocating from New York City, production here began in May 1908 and at its peak the factory employed 200 workers.  Andres Diaz & Co. closed it's business in 1925.
 
The building was for a short time the home of Francisco Arango Co. in 1935 and the Tampa-Cuba Cigar Co. between 1936 and 1943.  After that, it was sold to Hoffman Incorporated, a company dealing in rubber goods.  During the 1960s, it was purchased by the Amevoit Company.  It was vacant from 1976 to 1980, and was then bought by Ad-Image, Inc. and converted to an office building.  On February 4, 1980 Ad-Image, Inc. represented by John W. Stokes Jr., sold the property to Andrés Diaz Corp., on September 4, 1991 title was transfered to Bay Financial Savings Bank as a result of foreclosure action brought against Andres Diaz Corp. and John W. Stokes Jr. 
 
On September 29, 1995 Bay Financial Savings Bank sold the building to the Stahl Family Trust who sold it on October 19, 2001 to the Church of Scientology of Tampa, Inc.   who occupied it until 2012 when they moved to the V. Martinez Ybor fatory building in Ybor City.  On November 2012, the Hillsborough Classroom Teachers Association through the HCTA Professional Learning Center, Inc. acquired the building and is its current tenant.
 
In 1998, the Tampa Historical Society and West Tampa Centennial Society named the building as an architectural landmark.